söndag 2 januari 2011

Days up and down they come

If trying to explain "things" in some peculiar way, I guess you could say that most of the lyrics I really like, in books or in songs, are lyrics that capture either thoughts I once thought or maybe wish I would have thought. And put down in a way I never could have done.
There are records by for instance Emmylou Harris, Jackson Browne and Bruce Springsteen and books by Klas Östergren or Paul Auster.
Talking about Paul Auster, he has the ability to get me hooked by the first chapter, the first paragraph, or sometimes, like in "Book of illusions", "Man in the dark" or "The music of chance", by the first sentence.

"It was the summer that men first walked on the moon. I was very young back then, but I did not believe there would ever be a future. I wanted to live dangerously, to push myself as far as I could go, and then see what happened to me when I got there. As it turned out, I nearly did not make it"
Paul Auster: Moon Palace (1989)

"Days up and down they come
Like rain on a conga drum

Forget most, remember some

But don't turn none away


Everything is not enough

Nothin' is too much to bear

Where you been is good and gone

All you keep is the gettin' there


To live is to fly
Low and high

So shake the dust off of your wings

And the sleep out of your eyes"

Townes van Zandt: To live is to fly

At the moment grooving to ...

Record: Townes van Zandt: High low and inbetweens
Song: Townes van Zandt: To live is to fly


Inga kommentarer: